Contact Info

readysetreviews@gmail.com

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fallout New Vegas Xbox 360 Review



NOTE: I played for a total time of 31 hours and beat the main storyline but did not 100% the game.


Fallout New Vegas was a game that I was not excited for. While the ability to walk around a post apocalyptic Las Vegas sounded awesome, Fallout 3 was not one of my favorite games and judging from gameplay footage it seemed like New Vegas was going to be the same thing. Man, am I glad to be wrong.

The story starts off with a bang, with you getting shot in the head by a couple of thugs and left for dead. You are then picked up by the nice people of Goodsprings and nursed back to health. Once you walk around the town you realize that there is a man in need from the Crimson Caravan and you need to help him take down some thugs from the Great Kahn. You rally people in the town to help you and then there is a big gun fight in the streets of Goodsprings. After that the missions begin to flow.

While playing accepting quests from various people scattered across the Mojave, you find yourself wanting to keep continuing on. I often found myself sitting down expecting to play for only a half hour but to then find myself still playing two hours later. The missions seem to flow into each other and make you want to keep going forward in the story.

The gameplay is nearly identical to Fallout 3, which is not a bad thing. One thing that I did like that was different than Fallout 3 was the open world set up. The world seemed so much more open than Fallout 3 and it was nice that you didn't have to go through countless subways to get to a destination. Another thing I like about the game is the choices you need to make. Throughout the game you feel like every choice is greatly changing the game and it makes for an interesting and tedious gaming experience.

Even a game this enjoyable can have its problems. First off, expect to experience a lot of graphic glitches. Sometimes enemies would get trapped in a wall and they would not show up on VATS or take damage from my gun shots. This was very frustrating when you needed to fast travel or wait in the game as no enemies can be nearby to do those things. Expect to experience the occasional freeze during your trip through the Mojave. While this happened only a couple times, it is a problem that can cause a headache if you are not saving a lot during your playthrough.

One major problem I have with the game is the ending. While the ending itself wasn't bad (and granted my choices changed the ending), I would have liked to been able to keep traveling around the desert after the main story line was complete. I felt like there was a lot more I would have loved to done, but couldn't because once you beat the story you can't continue the game (unless you load a previous save).

All in all Fallout New Vegas was a fantastic game and is definitely in running for my Game of the Year. While it has its occasional problem the game keeps you hooked with its story and world. Fallout New Vegas is a game that shouldn't be missed.

I give Fallout New Vegas a 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment