Contact Info

readysetreviews@gmail.com

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360) Review.



I have always had a problem with the stories in the Grand Theft Auto series. It wasn't that they were bad, or poorly written. It was that somewhere between jacking cars, killing random people, and picking up hookers, I would loose interest. Eventually, I would forget about the story all together, leaving the ties unfinished. I have never beaten a Grand Theft Auto game.


When Red Dead Redemption was first announced, I was immediatly interested. The thought of free roaming around the wild west got me excited. Then, when I was able to get the game into my hands, and try it out for myself, I was not dissapointed.


In Red Dead Redemption you take the role of John Marston. John was in a gang with the worst of the worse. But after he was left for dead after a bank robbery, he decided to quit his evil life and start a normal one up with his wife and child. But, he cannot run away from his past, as the government kidnaps his family and tells him to kill the people he used to ride with or else he will never see his family again. So the government throws you on a train to go deep in the west and hunt down the men you used to ride with.


This story may not sound the most original, but the way it plays out keeps you very interested. With the story line taking you from the West, to Mexico, and back to the Midwest, gives you an interesting perspective on all of the different ways of life. In Mexico, you see the Mexican Revolution, all of the blood shed and war. In the West, you see the wild west you imagined. There are people challenging you to duels, saloons that you can drink at until you fall over, and gambling (which took a lot of my time and money). Then you go to the Midwest, and you see how much everything is evolving. With paved roads and automobiles, it really shows how much everything was advancing and how the days of the cowboy were coming to an end.


The tasks you are given in this game are very repetitive. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Only a few times during my playthrough did I feel annoyed by the repititive missions, but other than that, I enjoyed using my revolver to mow down the "bad guys".


But the one thing that really stands out for me is the ending. And all I will say is wow! I will not go into detail due to spoilers, but the ending will leave you speechless. Rockstar does a great job wrapping up this title, and being able to continue to play the game after the main story line is finished is always a plus.


The multiplayer is cool, but very unoriginal. You have your deathmatch, team deathmatch, catpure the flag, and other variations of multiplayer game modes. But the one thing that really stands out and makes the multiplayer fun is the duel at the begining. At the begining of every match everyone in the game starts off in a duel, and this is a great way to start the game and put some originality in the multiplayer. Other than that this is your typical run around, capture the objective, kill the other team multiplayer.


Overall, Red Dead Redemption is a great game. It's story keeps you more interested in it and less interested in killing innocent pedestrains (which you looks honor points if you do, so I wouldn't do it). The ending is very memorable, and will be remembered as, in my opinion, one of the greatest endings in video game history, and being able to play afterwards is great. Sometimes, though, the missions can feel annoying and repetitive, but this is very few and far between. And with an unoriginal multiplayer that starts off in a very original way, I am going to give Red Dead Redemption my highest reccomendations.


I give Red Dead Redemption a 9.5/10.

-Jon Haeffele
jj75XP

No comments:

Post a Comment